Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Log July 7, 2010


Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000155 EndHTML:0000018812 StartFragment:0000000472 EndFragment:0000018795
Date Minutes Spent Tagging Activity Notes TAG Points Comments/ Lessons learned
07/07/10 0.5 Citizenship We use tags (without stating the tag points) for the Kidlet's daily living. Tag Point: Ready to Go!

Today I did not give a tag point. I marked with the word. "NICE!"

And sent her to get a token.

I need to carry tokens in my pockets.
The Kidlet is required to brush her teeth, fill the bathroom water bowls, shower, and get dressed down to her shoes as soon as she gets out of bed in the morning.

This morning she got up and did the routine without being reminded.

This morning chain has been built slow over 4 years with a lot of positive reinforcement.

Every once in a while, I reward random parts of the chain.
07/07/10 10 Karate The Kidlet was surprised at how quickly she could remember old self-defense techniques. Intellectual Departure is a tricky technique as it has a right back kick followed by a right shuffle side kick.

Remembering witch kick came first was frustrating for her.

My instructions were to point the hiney then the hip at the target.

My refrain became Hiney, Hip, Hiney, Hip.

The Kidlet asked that it be the tag point. (The word Hiney makes her giggle.)

I used a clicker to mark if she pointed her butt at the target as the second move of the technique.

Tag point: Hiney, Hip

Alternating Maces has three stance changes and three arm movements.

Each hand movement is attached to a shift instance.

Tag point: Shift
We worked on 12 different techniques today. Two were new. Each day we will add one or two.

First I had
the Kidlet write the techniques in her notebook and write what it is self defense against.

Then we watched a video clip of an expert preform the new techniques while talking through the steps.

Then
the Kidlet read out loud how to preform the technique.

Then I read out loud to
the Kidlet how to preform the techniques while she slowly went though the steps.

Lastly she preformed it a couple of times with me or her saying the steps before adding any tag points.

I did not use any tag points for the ones that she worked on yesterday.

For the one of new ones I only tagged the completion of the technique.

She was to preform each one 10 times in a row.

I did not care is the did them well. I just wanted her to do the basic movements.

The second technique has a back kick followed by a side kick with the same leg.

That one I tagged the order about five times.

We worked for about 40 minutes.
07/07/10 10 Softball The Kidlet was very frustrated with my first tag point.

She did not want to take a break even though I could not figure out what she needed to do differently to get the ball to the target.

I had to take away the ball to get her to stop and regroup.

I will have her do the entire motion in the mirror before bed tonight.
Tag Point: Hit Target

Tag Point: Release at Hip
The Kidlet pitched into a hanging dog agility tire using the full windmill motion.

I started with the tag point hit target but it was not enough information.

I needed to tell her where to release the ball to have enough control to hit the target. I changed the tag point to release ball at hip.
07/07/10 3 Dog training/ Loose Leash Walking The Kidlet is preparing to run a friends English Cocker in agility in about 12 weeks. Tag point: Hands to belly button

Tag point: Right neutral

I used "Yes!" to mark each tag point.
Using a human as the dog, the Kidlet worked to keep Ringo from pulling her without pulling back, and on stopping her feet in a staggered position to prevent the dog from pulling her over.

The information I gave
the Kidlet for not pulling back was to bring both hands holding the lead to her belly button and stop her feet.

When we added the dog to the picture, she did a better job not being pulled around.
07/07/10 3 Citizenship The Kidlet is learning to eat without slurping. Tag Point: Quiet Mouth

I marked with the word "Click!"

I marked the lack of a sucking noise about ten times.

I missed several and was reminded.
The Kidlet asked that I click her for sucking in her noodles without slurping.

Then she harassed me for missing when her mouth was quiet. I would have preferred working on eating spaghetti without sucking the noodles in to her mouth.

The Kidlet picked the tag point quiet mouth.

Theresa asked that I consider these points for the next eating lesson: "What would the tag points be instead of "don't suck noodles into your mouth"?

Also can you or the kid come up with distinct "do" tag points for quiet mouth.

What are you doing to keep quiet and still masticate and swallow food.

Maybe the kid can write a little book on the tag points she creates…"The Grown up Girls Book of TAG Points for Making Parents Happy" we could publish it as a downloadable book!"
07/07/10 3 Basketball The Kidlet's basketball coach challenged her to eat one meal a day with her non dominate hand. Tag Point: Fork to Mouth

I marked with the word "Click!"

I marked the fork to mouth about 10 times.

I missed several and was reminded.
The Kidlet requested that I continue to click her at dinner when I told her we were done with the Quiet Mouth tag.

So I suggested that she switch her fork to her left hand and try to maintain the quiet mouth, head over bowl and elbow off table that is required for polite eating.

But I would only be marking the moment that the fork held in the left hand reached her mouth.
07/07/10 0.5 Cello The Kidlet hates to start practicing her cello because she might miss something. Tag Point: Cello Time Once the Kidlet gets started playing her cello, she doesn't want to stop. She sometimes play for 2 hours.

She does not, however, often pick up the cello without being reminded.

The goal is for her to play for at least 30 minutes every day.

We want her to play when she has "down time."

There isn't a scheduled time.

Tag Point: Cello Time

We marked when she gets out the cello with a verbal and give her a token. If she is "caught" playing the cello with out being asked she gets a jackpot.

Theresa's comments: "An additional thought is to make the TAG point something that surrounds the behavior but is not the end result. If you want her to play the cello maybe the directions are generally "before you play with the cello, the tag point is…ring bell twice".

Again the tag point is slightly away from anything that may be poisoned but still is fun and may encourage or remind the student to do something without "caving" in to something someone else wanted them to do. (not the case with the kid as she seems to want to practice)
07/07/10
Self-Assessment

It takes me longer to “log” the sessions than it does to complete the sessions.

I don't know if I am to be counting the prep time and the non tag work in my time log or just the actual time spent with a tagger in my hand.

I emailed Theresa and have added her suggesting and comments to my log.

Theresa suggested: "You can reduce low interest session recordings. Just tally minutes and write NN (Nothing New Or Outstanding to record)"

No comments: