Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Log July 14, 2010

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000155 EndHTML:0000015586 StartFragment:0000000472 EndFragment:0000015569
Date Minutes Spent Tagging Activity Notes TAG Points Comments/ Lessons learned
07/14/10 10 Karate We reviewed the 25 techniques. Tag point: Check We reviewed and did not add any new stuff. We worked for about an hour. The only thing I tag was the Kidlet keeping her hands up.
07/14/10 5 Cello The Kidlet is working on the proper way to bow her cello. Tag Point: Over Bend Wrist

Tag Point: Straight Elbow

Tag Point: Arm

Only I marked the tags 10 times each with a loud box clicker so that she could hear it over her playing.
I requested that she take out her cello today. I rewarded her with a board game for when she was done. She was pleased to pick the game.
07/14/10 5 Tennis We worked on the serve from a different directions. Tag point: Reach high to release See July 12 for more instructions and details.

The swing of the serve is not exactly like the throwing motion , but has many things in common with throwing a softball.

I had
the Kidlet stand at the base line and near the center mark and throw balls diagonally into the opposite service court. I had her stand with the non-throwing shoulder/hip toward net, step son-throwing foot toward net and reach up high to release.

My only tag point was to reach high to release because that is not how she was taught to throw a softball.

My instructions did not make sense to
the Kidlet so I had her tag me.

She likes to tag me.

I don't know if we will do this drill again because she was a little confused about why one would release the ball so high.
07/14/10 3 Cooking The Kidlet is learning kitchen safety while cooking. Tag Point: Handle to Rear

Tag Point: Hold handle while stirring

Tag Point: Ask for help

I used a box clicker and marked each tag point.
She made a box of mac and cheese for the first time today.
07/14/10
Basketball The Kidlet's favorite sport is basketball. Each summer she attends a basketball camp and she plays on a team in the winter (which I coach – we will be tagging this year!). Possible tag points. Each part might need to be shaped.

Tag point: balance

Tag point: elbow

Tag point: line

Tag point: index finger

Tag point: extension

Tag point: flick

Tag point: hold Goose Neck
Shooting is one of the most important aspects of basketball.

To give
the Kidlet consistently correct technique as well as shooting confidence and belief in her shot, we've written this poem of tag points to lay the foundations for future development.

B for balance - Players square their feet up to the basket.

E for elbow - Players get their elbow in an L shape facing the basket.

L for line - Line up their right foot, hand and eye.

I for index finger - Index finger lined up pointing towards the basket.

E is for extension - Players extend their arm to straight.

F is for flick - Players extend their arm and flick their wrist when fully extended to release the ball.

Then then hold the flick in a “goose neck.”

In the coming weeks we will using Tagging to get the shooting poem in to muscle memory.

She has already memorized to poem.
07/14/10
Karate / Kicking Set Watching the Kidlet in class tonight I discovered that she doesn't know Kicking Set which is the set for this session. She has had it before and earn a ribbon for it but doesn't remember it.


She will be tested on it, along with her 25 self-defense techniques on 07/21/2010.
There are four steps to the kicks.

The steps are to bring you knee up, extend your foot out, bring your foot back in and then put your foot down on the ground.

Kicking tag points are:

Tag Point: up

Tag Point: out

Tag Point: in

Tag Point: down
The Kidlet's kicks are pretty good.

She gets lazy kicking and just lifts and drops her leg.

We can go back to tagging each part of the kick – up, out, back, down – to make them sharper.

The largest problem with Kicking Set is that she does not remember the order of the kicks.

I will have her make a flash card for each side with the starting stance and the order of kicks.

There are four for each side.
07/14/10 15 Karate Class I tag in class using a thumbs up or a loud verbal NICE!

Tag points are given mostly with hand signals.
During class tag points and markers are mostly non verbal.

However I do use “CHECK!” for hands up.
The class is 90 minutes long.

The Kidlet's is a talker. I use a hand signal of a zipper going across my lips to tag for a quiet mouth.

Tag point: Zip it!

The Kidlet drifts instead of watching the other kids preform their parts or instead of watching the coach give direction. I use a hand signal of pointing to my eyes and then to the instructor for looking at instructor.

Tag point: Watch

I say her name to get her to look at me for tag points.

Tag point: NAME

When she looks at me on her own to see what the tag point might me I give her one or I give her a thumbs up.

When I catch her doing the correct thing I say NICE! loudly.

She knows my voice and will grin without looking at me.

The Kidlet brought her technique cards with her because she wanted to practice in the classroom where the test will be next week.

She preformed all 25 well after class, standing in the middle of the room while everyone else was leaving.

It was chaos and she could do it in that sea of distraction.

The test will be EASY, I think, after that.

No comments: